Drinking expenditure higher amongst educated individuals

Drinking expenditure higher amongst educated individuals

Alcohol consumption is ingrained intricately in the American culture. People with upper socio-economic status have greater economic power and thus, can buy alcohol as and when they please. However, there is a rising awareness amongst the masses about their intake of alcohol. Nevertheless, this smartness seems to be amiss amongst the educated strata of the American society. Emerging data has suggested that people who are highly educated, especially the ones possessing college degrees tend to spend excessively on buying alcohol, compared to those unable to complete high school.

Recently, Visual Capitalist, an organization that presents original research in the form of infographics and data visualization published an analysis exploring how the education levels of Americans determined how they made and spent their money. The site investigated the earnings and expenditures of four groups:

  • Individuals who could not complete high school
  • Individuals who were high school graduates
  • Individuals holding bachelor’s degrees
  • Individuals holding master’s, professional, or doctorate degrees

The above data was extracted from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and was visually compiled. The spending trend of these 4 groups was scattered across 20 broad categories, however, the analysis focused on Food and Wine, and not Food and Utilities, helping to gain an insight on alcohol spending. From the numbers it was deduced that as the education levels rose, the spending on alcohol also increased and that too proportionally.

Average household expenditure on alcohol

According to the data analysis, individuals with a high school diploma had an average expenditure of about $28,245 and their yearly spending on alcohol was nearly $102 which equated to 0.4 percent of their total budget. Further, high school graduates spent $276 annually on alcohol which was 0.8 percent of their total expenditure. On the other hand, the annual expense on alcohol was reported to be $760 for the individuals possessing a bachelor’s degree. This came out to be 1.2 percent of their annual spending of $63,373, whereas, households with a master’s, a higher, or an equivalent degree spent $992 on alcohol per year, which corresponded to $19 every week.

Although there seemed to be no credible explanation behind these trends, according to NBC News, apart from the high income, the average money spent on alcohol could also be driven by the fact that lower income groups align themselves with less drinking overall. Further, a report released by the Gallup in 2015 pointed out that 8 out of 10 graduates, that is 80 percent, shared that they drank alcohol, compared to the 50 percent of the respondents with a high school degree, who indulged in alcohol regularly.

Regardless of income, alcohol consumption can affect quality of life

Education enables one to earn their livelihood. The higher an individual is educated, the better they are placed and the more they earn. This should be accompanied by a sense of responsibility to self, family, and the society. However, by indulging in excessive drinking, one sets bad precedence. Alcohol consumption, whether moderate or excessive, leaves an indelible imprint on one’s physical as well as mental health. It can cause various types of cancers, mental health disorders, relationship troubles, financial distress, risky behavior, misdemeanor like driving under the influence, and so much more. Therefore, before things spiral out of hand and start affecting one’s life negatively, one must seek professional help for their alcoholism.

To get a medically supervised rapid detox from a detox treatment center that helps in regaining sobriety, contact Rapid Detox Helpline. Call our 24/7 helpline number 866-403-5591 and speak to a representative to learn more about drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers. Alternatively, you can also chat online with a representative for further assistance.